Monday, January 14, 2008

Third day, first post

We are leaving soon, so I must be quick, but already I have discovered the same problem that we encountered in Vietnam - I can't seem to find the time to post a blog! We have already done so much, met so many people, where do I begin?
I suppose at the beginning.
The first thing I did when we arrived was offend the people of Ghana.
We were in customs at the airport. Our bags were being checked and checked again, suspiciously. A man was talking to me on the side about surfing in Ghana, and the beaches and islands nearby. He asked if I was part of that big group behind me, and I replied something along the lines of, "Yes, all those crazy people over there," and I gesticulated with my hand towards the group.
Quite suddenly, we were ready to go, and I started walking towards them when a very, very tall man stepped right infront of me, arms crossed and imposing.
"Why did you call my people crazy?" he said, looking very unhappy. I stumbled and stuttered over a mix between an explanation and apology. Oh, I was talking about my friends, I didn't mean you, I'm sorry -
"It is insulting to call someone crazy in Ghana. You offend my people when you say that."
I was quite embarassed and flustered. I mumbled my apologies, and he gave a short laugh and stepped aside, reminding me not to say that again (unfortunately I've found that "crazy" is a word I use more than I thought.)
So that was our first few minutes in the country.
I think my time is up, but I will briefly give my impressions of Accra.
First, it is beautiful. And very hot, and humid. At 7 in the morning, it is about 75 degrees. In the north, where we are about to leave, it will be in the 90s. But its nice to be away from winter.
The streets here are mostly dirt, and the places where it is paved are jagged and rough, with too many potholes and mostly just one lane each way. There are SO MANY cars. Everywhere, cars. Many people travel in vans and buses, as well, packing almost 15 people in. Abandoned cars are everywhere, with "bills" or propaganda and paper ads taped to them, and peeling off, dirt coating them and tires sunk into the ground. The traffic, as a result of so many cars and the roads, is very heavy, and people here talk about it often because it is such a problem. The driving style reminds me very much of Vietnam, with cars coming uncomfortably close to other cars, ditches on the side of the road, street lights, etc.
There is a haze to the sky, because we are in the dry season (two seasons: rainy and dry.) The sun squints through the haze for most of the day, and only straight up can blue sky be seen. The beach is wonderful, flour-like sand and clear green water, with good waves too! (I plan on surfing when we get back from the north.)
The people here are incredible. They are generous, lively, and rich in personality and culture. They all love music and art. They dress in bursts of brilliant colors and patterns, tall headdresses and luxurious robes. They all dance, especially the men! The colors of the Ghanaian flag, red, yellow and green are everywhere, especially in support of Ghana for the African Cup of Nations (football). (We might attend this by the way - I hope so!)
Time to leave, in our entourage of two 15-seater (and I mean *nice* seats) vans. There are many stories still to tell, and we will transcribe them when we find the time, haha.
Peace,
Lauren

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
Enjoyed your message and thoughts.I myself have found it best to be on your toes and curteous to the foreighners especially in CUSTOMS. They love their authority position and given the chance they will use it to amuse themselves. Always be careful you never know the trouble they may cause.
Got to go but will be in touch.
Namestay,Mom