Friday, January 18, 2008

A perception unlike any other

A crowded bus.

Nine people.

One mission.

Our mission throughout this trip is to discover what Africa is really about. To understand who these people really are; and what it is that we, America, can do to help. But, I wanted to know not just what "we" could do it was important to know what "I" could do to help. What could I give in the form of myself that would be beneficial to this enormous place. Any college student in my position could agree that giving in the form of currency is unlikely, but what could I leave behind to help, not just the people of Ghana, but the people of Africa. What I have found through my weeks journey is that the learning has overwhelmed the helping but the helping was found through my understanding. With every conversation I engage in I discover more about a place that I never really knew. Sure I have read text books, newspapers, and researched the continent before I arrived, but nothing becomes truly clear until spoken from the mouths of those who eat, breathe, and sleep it day in and day out. So to hear from their lips that just my understanding alone was helping their people be understood throughout the world made my trip more meaningful. I have learned so much from the people of Africa in only a weeks time, but I have also learned so much more about myself and my role in this humanitarian project. The people of Africa are trying to stand on their own two feet, they are moving in a direction of a better nation. They have the same thoughts, feelings, and aspirations like any other and they don't need a spokes person to tell you that; all they need is for the rest of us to listen.

A man asked me a question while I was hear, "What was your impression of Africa before you left America?" "And what is your impression now that you have arrived?"
I told him this: I was not naive enough to believe that Africans lived in trees, but I was naive enough to believe that they were not as established as they are. I never thought to see a satellite dish playing ESPN or Disney on a television set in Africa; nor did I expect their to be advances in medical practices or universities full of students. But low and behold it's here. Although communication is a problem in certain instances they have the Internet. They live in million dollar homes and drive fancy cars and own businesses. They study things like biomolecular chemistry and business management. The depth of their knowledge I was naive to, but now that I have seen that they stick together to help one another, that they want to see a better Africa, and have the knowledge to do it all I have faith that Africa will prevail and come up on top. They may need some assistance from others, but we have to let them lead the way and tell us what they need. I am pleased to be experiencing all that I am in Ghana and cannot wait to return home to share it with all those around me. Not just because I have had such a wonderful experience, but it's through educating one another that builds bridges rather then spreading gaps.
-Liz-

No comments: